The hallmarks of Blaine Rogers’ legal career are outstanding client service and positive results. He is dogged in his pursuit of closing cases efficiently, and to the highest satisfaction of the people and companies he represents.
Blaine practices in the areas of commercial litigation, lender liability, real estate and land use, title insurance and escrow, environmental and cultural resources, collections and foreclosures, constitutional and civil rights, class actions, and appellate law.
Mr. Rogers was the first Legal Fellow in a joint program between the Hawai`i Department of the Attorney General and Department of Land and Natural Resources, administratively prosecuting Hawaii’s first coral damage cases. He is also the proud recipient of a 2012 Outstanding Pro Bono Attorney Award, and maintains a preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell, and top Real Estate Litigation attorney ranking from Best Lawyers in America.
Before joining AHFI, Blaine clerked for the Honorable David Alan Ezra, Chief Judge Emeritus of the United States District Court for the District of Hawaii. He received his J.D. from the University of Hawai`i William S. Richardson School of Law (magna cum laude), and his B.A. from UCLA.
Awards and Recognition
- Best Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Super Lawyers
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Practice
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Class Actions
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Constitutional and Civil Rights
- Corporate and Business
- Creditors' Rights and Bankruptcy
- Environment, Cultural & Natural Resources
- Foreclosures and Receiverships
- Insurance Coverage
- Mortgage Banking Law
- Real Estate and Title Litigation
- Defeated borrower’s affirmative claims and obtained judgment clarifying the remedy of rescission under Hawai’i’s unfair and deceptive trade practices statute.
- Obtained multiple favorable judgments on borrower claims alleging violations of the Truth in Lending Act (TILA) and other federal and state statutes.
- Successfully represented national cellular telephone service provider against allegations of improper information dissemination.
- Successfully defended action brought by former property owner challenging nonjudicial foreclosure action.
- Obtained summary judgment and attorneys’ fees and costs in two separate suits brought by disappointed bidders at erroneously-conducted nonjudicial foreclosures sales.
- Cleared title to property embroiled in multiple-party, luxury condominium property regime dispute.
- Successfully defeated affirmative claims and obtained summary judgment in fraudulent transfer action.
- Obtained injunctive relief preventing the State of Hawai’i from reducing healthcare benefits to residents of the Republic of Palau, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia.
- Brought suit against the State of Hawai’i for unlawful cutbacks to mental health services and elays in providing federal supplemental assistance benefits.
- Lee v. HSBC Bank USA, 218 P.3d 775 (2009) (holding that a disappointed bidder at an erroneously-conducted nonjudicial foreclosure sale is entitled only to the return of the downpayment plus interest).
- U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Ninth Circuit
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- Natural Resources Section (Program Chair, 2007; Vice-Chair, 2008; Chair, 2009)
- Litigation Section
- Federal Bar Association
- Volunteer Legal Services of Hawaii
- Volunteer (2008-present)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV rating (2014)
- Super Lawyers (2014-2016)
- Rising Star 2014-2016
- ABA Pro Bono Celebration
- Outstanding Pro Bono Attorney, Hawai`i (2012)
- Best Lawyers in America© (Real Estate Litigation, 2016-present)
- University of Hawai`i, Richardson School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude 2006)
- Editor, Asian-Pacific Law & Policy Journal (2005-2006)
- CALI, Excellence for the Future Award, Highest Grade, Domestic Ocean and Coastal Law (Spring 2005)
- CALI, Excellence for the Future Award, Highest Grade, Federal Courts (Spring 2005)
- CALI, Excellence for the Future Award, Highest Grade, Environmental Compliance and Regulated Industries (Spring 2006)
- University of California, Los Angeles (B.A.)
- Law clerk to the Honorable David Alan Ezra, U.S. District Court for the District of Hawai`i (2007-2008)
- Department of the Attorney General and Department of Land & Natural Resources, State of Hawai`i, Legal Fellow (2006-2007)
- “Raising the Bar: The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Public Land Trust , and a Heightened Standard of Fiduciary Duty,” 7 Asian-Pac L. and Pol’y J. 1.