Glenn T. Melchinger
Phone: (808) 524-1800
Fax: (808) 524-4591
Direct: (808) 441-6117
Start with e-discovery issues involving terabytes of data and preserving whole computing environments. Then add another layer of complexity with bilingual data. "Understanding electronic information is increasingly crucial to effective advocacy," says Glenn Melchinger, whose Japanese language skills were essential in assisting a client with forensic preservation of data, analysis of that data, and presenting it as evidence and arguments that won a victory for his client in a recent case. Mr. Melchinger's practice focuses on complex commercial disputes, international disputes, and commercial transactions. His language abilities, honed by living in Japan for over four years, facilitate communications and problem-solving, whether the task is making U.S.-style discovery comprehensible for Japanese clients, or explaining the issues involved in a transaction.
Recent Representative Matters
- Successfully represented a franchisee in an arbitration over termination of an Asia-wide franchise. Won a ruling that the franchisor acted in bad faith and vindicated the franchisee's development rights.
Helped a Japan company successfully settle a $100 million construction loan dispute.
Certified a class of disabled persons and helped them through settlement, to obtain withheld benefits from the State of Hawai`i.
Helped two clients obtain favorable settlements in multi-million dollar computer system/software installation disputes.
Successfully helped a client obtain a seven figure settlement in a professional contract dispute only weeks after receiving the case from another firm.
Assisted clients to close several multi-million dollar sales of loans and real property.
Commercial Litigation, Arbitration, and Mediation
Civil Litigation, Arbitration and Mediation
Real Estate Litigation
Coordination and Management of Disputes and Dual Proceedings in Japan and Hawai'i
Civil Rights Class Actions
Real Estate Transactions
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court for the District of Hawai`i
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Hawai`i State Bar Association
- Business Law Section, Member
- University of Hawai`i, William S. Richardson School of Law, Honolulu, HI (J.D. cum laude, 1998)
- Production Editor, University of Hawaii Law Review, 1997-98
- Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT (B.A. 1990; Freeman Prize for Excellence in East Asian Studies)
Publications and Presentations
- Osaka Bar Association Symposium presenter regarding proposed amendments to Japanese laws regarding discovery and U.S. style discovery, August 2010
- HSBA Seminar presenter: "Ethical Issues in E-Discovery," April 2009
- The Japanese Written Word: A Unique Reader, by Glenn Melchinger and Helene Kasha, Kodansha International (Mar. 1999)
- For the Collective Benefit: Why Japan's New Strict Product Liability Law is "Strictly Business," 19 U. Haw. L. Rev. 879 (1997)
- Rush Moore Craven Sutton Morry & Beh
Languages Other Than English
- Japanese (spoken and written)