John S. Rhee
Phone: (808) 524-1800
Fax: (808) 524-4591
John Rhee has represented clients ranging from individuals to Fortune 500 corporations, managing complex discovery, mapping trial strategy and protecting their interests in business disputes, antitrust and securities litigation, patent litigation, and civil rights. His experience covers a number of industries, including real estate, healthcare, finance and telecommunications.
Recent Representative Matters
- Rainbow Dialysis v. Liberty Dialysis On appeal, defended a State of Hawai'i agency's decision to grant a Certificate of Need to client Rainbow Dialysis to provide much needed renal dialysis services on Maui, where Liberty held a monopoly.
- Rodriguez v. Starwood et al. Represent defendant in a class action on behalf of hotel beverage and service workers who claim that defendant unlawfully withheld wages by failing to disclose its distribution policies concerning banquet service tips to customers. Briefed a certified question going to the heart of plaintiffs' claims before the Hawai'i Supreme Court.
- Kono v. Abercrombie Represented a class of public school teachers whose health benefits were threatened and impaired by actions by the state defendants, including the forced transfer of their health benefits funding from their employee benefits trust fund to a less financially sound fund, a violation of the Hawai'i Constitution's "non-impairment" clause.
- Dannenberg v. State of Hawai'i (formerly Everson v. State) Represented a class of retired public employees and dependents denied their health benefits by the Employer-Union Health Benefits Trust Fund (EUTF). On appeal, the Hawai'i Supreme Court issued its landmark decision establishing that post-retirement health benefits are accrued benefits that are constitutionally protected.
- Cruz v. Waipahu Jack Hall Memorial Housing Corp. Represent a class of low-income housing tenants overcharged as a result of insufficient utility allowance credits that are required under HUD regulations.
- Peoria Day v. OSF St. Francis Medical Center Defended largest hospital system in Central Illinois against claims of antitrust violations and interference with contract, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Taylor-Doyle V. Nelson, et al. Obtained summary judgment in favor of police detective client in case involving Section 1983 civil rights claims.
- Represented Korean conglomerate in real estate litigation featuring breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract claims arising from joint venture condominium project.
- Dumond v. MFS; Forsythe v. MFS Defended mutual funds client against claims of excessive fees in violation of Investment Advisers Act.
- Rosie D. v. Romney Won trial victory in major pro bono class action suit in Massachusetts on behalf of Medicaid-eligible children with mental and behavioral health problems.
Commercial LitigationAntitrust LitigationSecurities Litigation
Patent LitigationCivil Rights Litigation
- Business torts
- Contract disputes
- FINRA investigations
- Defense of shareholder suits
Civil Rights Litigation
Admitted to Practice
- Illinois (inactive)
- New York (inactive)
- Massachusetts (inactive)
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Co-author, "Anticompetitive Conduct: Price Fixing and Enforcement of the Antitrust Laws in the Dairy Industry," Bloomberg Law Reports, Antitrust and Trade, Volume 4, No. 4, February 21, 2011, with Alan I. Greene.
- Co-author, "Franchise Disputes," Chapter 15 in Business Torts in Massachusetts, ed. Laurence H. Reece III (Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc., 2002), with George W. Mykulak.
- Columbia Law School (J.D.)
• Journal of Law and Social Problems. Published Note:
"Bilingual Education and Models of Citizenship."
• Participant, Political Asylum Workshop
• Participant, Moot Court
- Yale College (B.A.)
• Recipient of a Mellon Fund Grant to conduct thesis research: U.S. Armed Forces in Korea, 1945-48: Post-war Administrative Struggles Amidst a Nascent Cold War.
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
• Partner (2010-2011)
• Associate (2008-2010)
- WilmerHale LLP
• Counsel (2007-2011)
• Special Assistant District Attorney, Middlesex County, MA,
Somerville District Court (2006; firm-sponsored 6-month
rotation as criminal prosecutor)
• Associate (2001-2006)
- The Honorable Kevin N. Fox,U.S. District Court, S.D.N.Y.
• Clerk (2000-2001)