Excellent. Trustworthy. Judy Tanaka’s clients know they can expect these qualities when they seek her legal services. Judy understands that client service is of paramount priority, and she does not stop simply because the sun sets or the weekend arrives. She is steadfast in her commitment to achieving peoples’ goals effectively and efficiently, through vigorous and skillful litigation, arbitration, negotiation or mediation. Whether individuals or businesses find themselves in need of an attorney for the first time or whether they have worked with attorneys before, Judy guides them through the process to ensure they have the information necessary to make well-founded business decisions.
Judy, who was born and raised in Honolulu and knows how to navigate through local channels, has filed actions on behalf of and has defended clients in federal and state courts in Hawai`i on a wide range of disputes. Judy represents companies as well as individuals in construction matters (both residential and commercial), including owners, design professionals, subcontractors, and suppliers in matters involving construction defects, performance and payment disputes, and mechanic’s liens. She also represents clients on issues relating to real estate development, commercial leasing, real property title insurance, quiet title, lender liability, insurance coverage, corporate and partnership matters, and other commercial litigation.
In addition to representing clients in complex commercial, construction, and real estate litigation, Judy defends national corporations in toxic tort litigation filed in State, Federal and appellate courts of the State of Hawai`i, including claims relating to exposure to asbestos and pesticides. Judy has negotiated favorable resolutions of these cases, often resulting in reasonable, nominal settlements that limit her clients’ risk and exposure.
Judy also counsels people on business transactions such as entity formation, commercial leasing and contracts, purchase and sale of businesses, and other related commercial matters. Her robust experience and skills as a litigator provide her with a unique advantage when giving advice on non-litigation matters. “Having litigated countless cases, my litigation background is a definite asset when counseling clients on their transactional needs. I know the pitfalls to avoid, and I am in a unique and excellent position to offer them preventive, proactive advice so they can avoid litigation in the first instance.”
Judy’s clients include local, small businesses to national corporations doing business in Hawai`i. They all have one core requirement that is key to Judy’s practice: “No matter the size, understanding and achieving the client’s goals is essential.”
Judy serves on the panel of court appointed arbitrators for the Hawai`i Court-Annexed Arbitration Program and has presided over numerous tort arbitrations.
Awards and Recognition
- Best Lawyers in America©
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Corporate and Business
- Insurance Coverage
- Mortgage Banking Law
- Real Estate
- Real Estate and Title Litigation
- Commercial Leasing
- Products Liability
- Successfully defended subcontractor in million dollar construction defect claim and obtained substantial settlement in favor of subcontractor.
- Successfully co-represented and defended subcontractor in construction defect claim and obtained arbitration decision resulting in denial of contractor’s claim and award of payment due subcontractor under subcontract.
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court construction contract enforcement action resulting in judgment in favor of national owner of timeshare resorts.
- Successfully represented owners of a commercial project in lender liability and foreclosure actions.
- Represented a national telecommunications carrier in obtaining approval by the Public Utilities Commission to provide telecommunications services throughout the State of Hawai’i.
- Represented a Japan corporation in a multi-million dollar lender liability case, involving conducting discovery in Japan, which was favorably settled.
- Construction, including construction contract enforcement, construction defect claims, delay impact and loss productivity claims, mechanic’s and materialsman’s lien, and Miller Act claims
- Business torts and contract disputes
- Shareholder and partnership disputes
- Real estate title and escrow disputes
- Encroachment and boundary disputes
- Commercial leasing issues
- Enforcement of real property purchase/sale contracts
- Partition of real estate
- Insurance coverage and bad faith
- Construction contracts
- Commercial real estate and vessel leases
- U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii
- U.S Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Arbitrator, Hawai`i Court-Annexed Arbitration Program
- Hawaii Delegate, United States District Court Judicial Conference
- Best Lawyers in America© 2016
- Martindale-Hubbell AV rating
- Benchmark Litigation
- Future Star: General Commercial (2015)
- Best Lawyers in America© (Real Estate Litigation, 2016-present)
- William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawai`i (JD)
- University of Hawai`i (BBA with Distinction, Management)
- Paul Johnson Park & Niles
- Managing Director (2003 – 2011)
- Partner (1995-2003)