Laura P. Moritz
Phone: (808) 524-1800
Fax: (808) 524-4591
A seasoned litigation attorney with experience in California and Hawai`i, Laura Moritz counsels clients on strategies to creatively and efficiently resolve litigation and threatened litigation. Her significant experience in a variety of jurisdictions creates a valuable advantage when determining the best litigation strategy, and is a particular advantage for clients with business interests on both sides of the Pacific.
- Regularly defends lenders and escrow companies in Truth-in-Lending Act litigation and related issues at both the federal and state level.
- Represented community organizations seeking to update antiquated environmental impact statement after the developer postponed a proposed expansion at Turtle Bay Resort for more than twenty years. Unite Here! Local 5, et al. v. City and County of Honolulu, et al., 2010 WL 1408403 (2010).
- Successfully represented class action of private landowners in an inverse condemnation proceeding after the State of Hawai`i enacted legislation which converted private beachfront land to state land. Maunalua Bay Beach Ohana 28, et al. v. State of Hawai`i, 122 Hawai`i 34, 222 P.3d 441 (2009).
- Successfully defended the Newport Beach Country Club in contract dispute with group seeking to make "right of first offer" to purchase company's shares. Founding Members of the Newport Beach Country Club v. Newport Beach Country Club, Inc., 109 Cal.App.4th 944, 135 Cal.Rptr.2d 505 (2003).
Real Estate Litigation
Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
Breach of contract and other business disputes
Real property sales contract disputes
Admitted to Practice
- California (inactive)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Hawai`i
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal
- American Bar Association
- Hawai`i State Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- Hawai`i Women Lawyers
- North Shore Community Land Trust
- Kokua Hawai`i Foundation, Board of Directors
- Hawai`i State Bar Association, MCLE Board of Directors
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law (J.D. 1996)
- University of California at Berkeley (B.A. 1991)
- Pinto & Dubia, LLP
- Senior Litigation Associate Attorney (1998-2003)
- Law Offices of Susan M. Trager
- Associate Attorney (1996-1998)