Michelle Comeau uses strategic thinking and superior legal analysis to help clients achieve results as efficiently as possible. Her approach benefits clients by preserving their reputations and avoiding significant damages, as well as pursuing the rights of individuals and organizations who have been wronged by others. She handles a wide range of civil litigation and pre-litigation matters, including contract disputes and business torts, fraud, product liability, class actions, and appeals.
Michelle also regularly advises clients in pre-litigation and non-litigation contexts, with an emphasis on helping Hawaii’s local businesses as well as its healthcare community.
Prior to AHFI, Michelle worked as a litigator at Morrison & Foerster LLP and has served as a law clerk at both the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the United States District Court for the District of Hawaii. Before practicing law, Michelle worked for PwC Consulting and IBM Global Services in the United States and Canada as a business process consultant to financial services clients.
Michelle is a graduate of the UCLA School of Law, Dartmouth College, and Punahou School. She resides in Honolulu with her husband and their three children.
- Appellate Practice
- Business Advice and Counseling
- Class Actions
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Constitutional and Civil Rights
- Litigation and Regulatory Compliance
- Products Liability
- Represented major telecommunications company for two years in ongoing related negligence cases stemming from a fire in Malibu, California.
- Represented Fortune 100 client embroiled in contract dispute with one of its suppliers; prepared motion for partial summary judgment that resulted in a favorable settlement less than one week after motion was filed.
- Represented major retailer in a putative racketeering class action in United States District Court; won dismissal on the merits in initial motion practice; successfully defended dismissal before the Ninth Circuit.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Hawai`i
- California (inactive)
- Hawai`i Appellate Practice Manual (chapter author), Hawaii State Bar Association, September 2012.
- “The Hidden Contradiction Within Insider Trading Regulation,” UCLA Law Review, Vol. 53, Issue 5, June 2006.
- UCLA School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif)
- UCLA Law Review. Senior Editor
- Dartmouth College (B.A., Economics)
- Law Clerk, U.S. District Court for the District of Hawai`i
• Law clerk (2010-2011)
- Morrison & Foerster, LLP
• Associate (2008-2010)
- The Honorable A Wallace Tashima, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
• Law clerk (2006-2007)